Pages

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Cosh Outside from Horton - 16th May 2015

To the north of Pen y Ghent and Plover Hill, between Foxup Moor and the western tip of Langstrothdale, is the end of a long curving ridge line with a trig point that I'd always thought would have a fantastic outlook over the top end of Ribblesdale. Before Saturday I'd never visited the spot (which I've called Cosh Outside because that's the name that appears on my OS map slightly near the spot) but, on a whim, while out on a run I decided to branch off of the main track (between Horton Scar and Foxup) and have a look see. There was no real path from that point on, just a bit of a sheep trod and a wall line to follow, but what a completely brilliant outlook when I got there!

Aside from the trig point, there was also a tall cairn on the slightly smaller hillock adjacent on the final tip of the ridge and both view points offered just stunning views back towards Pen y Ghent to the south and Ingleborough, Whernside and the pine forest of Langstrothdale to the west.

After metaphorically planting my flag I then decided to head west over a couple of miles of tussock grass to pick up the Pennine Way back to Horton, making for a nice circular route. That's a cracking new 10 mile run route invented then!

From Horton - 9.9 miles and 1,923 ft - route on Strava

My wall line heading for Cosh Outside

Looking back at Pen y Ghent

Looking towards Ingleborough from the trig with the cairn on the next hillock also in view

Plover Hill and Pen y Ghent

The cairn with Ingleborough, Ribblehead and Whernside in view

Gorgeous

The Pennine Way cart track back to Horton

Ze route

No comments:

Post a Comment